English  |  正體中文  |  简体中文  |  Items with full text/Total items : 26987/38787
Visitors : 2296823      Online Users : 58
RC Version 4.0 © Powered By DSPACE, MIT. Enhanced by NTU Library IR team.
Scope Adv. Search
LoginUploadHelpAboutAdminister

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://ntour.ntou.edu.tw:8080/ir/handle/987654321/46039

Title: Comparison of two uropod-cutting methods for tagging of juvenile grass prawn Penaeus monodon
Authors: Leaño, E.M.;Liao, I C
Keywords: Penaeus monodon;Tagging;Biological tag;Tag retention
Date: 2006
Issue Date: 2018-04-23T06:19:02Z
Publisher: Journal of the Fisheries Society of Taiwan
Abstract: Abstract:
Two uropod-cutting methods were used and compared for tagging of Penaeus monodon juveniles: LE-cutting half of the left exopod; and WR-cutting the whole right uropods. The treatments were composed of LE, WR, Control (with uncut uropods), and Mixed (equal numbers [5 prawns] of LE, WR and Control in one tank). Fifteen prawns were used for each treatment and the Control, with two replicate tanks for each. Results show that there was no significant difference (P>0.05) on growth and survival among the experimental treatments and the Control after three months of culture. Regeneration of uropods commenced within a week of culture and complete regeneration was evident after one month in LE treatment and after two months in WR treatment. Abnormalities observed in regenerated uropods for LE treatment were composed mostly of hollow type (HT; 65.2%) and flat type (FT; 25.8%). Tag retention rate was 91.0%. In WR treatment, 80.3% regenerated into normal type (N) composed of those with normal pigmentation (33.9%) and with less pigmentation or discoloration (46.4%). Other abnormality observed was incomplete growth (IG; 7.2%) while the rest (10.5%) cannot be classified due to the presence of severe tail rot. Tag retention rate for this cutting method was only 53.3%. In the Mixed treatment, prawns tagged using LE were easily distinguishable from the rest of the prawns (Control and WR) in the same tank. A mean of 73.3% of the LE cut prawns regenerated into HT and 6.7% into FT. For prawns with WR cut uropods, only 40% regenerated into N with discoloration, while the rest (~60%) either regenerated into N which is indistinguishable from the Control, or not classified due to tail rot. Overall, LE method is recommended for tagging juvenile P. monodon as it can produce more distinguishable abnormality in the regenerated uropods compared to WR method. The abnormalities observed can be retained by the tagged prawns even after several molting cycles during their growth.
Relation: 33(3), pp.221-228
URI: http://ntour.ntou.edu.tw:8080/ir/handle/987654321/46039
Appears in Collections:[廖一久院士專區] 期刊論文

Files in This Item:

There are no files associated with this item.



All items in NTOUR are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.

 


著作權政策宣告: 本網站之內容為國立臺灣海洋大學所收錄之機構典藏,無償提供學術研究與公眾教育等公益性使用,請合理使用本網站之內容,以尊重著作權人之權益。
網站維護: 海大圖資處 圖書系統組
DSpace Software Copyright © 2002-2004  MIT &  Hewlett-Packard  /   Enhanced by   NTU Library IR team Copyright ©   - Feedback