Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title: ||Toxicity of copper sulfate to juvenile grass prawn, Penaeus monodon|
|Authors: ||Guo, J.J.;Liao, I C.|
|Issue Date: ||2017-11-24T02:43:06Z
|Publisher: ||COA Fisheries Series|
Copper sulfate has been generally used for many years to reduce algal density in ponds, and to prevent culture animals from being infected with diseases. The purpose of this study was to investigate the toxicity of copper sulfate at therapeutic level and at toxic level when exposed to juvenile Penaeus monodon for 24 hours. It showed that at toxic level of 40 ppm, copper sulfate caused gill damage and reduced the survival rate of P. monodon. Residual copper in the prawn was markedly eliminated during a short period of immersion into clean seawater. Prawn exposed to therapeutic level of 0.4 ppm of copper sulfate did not exhibit any side effects. It is suggested sublethal level of copper sulfate also did not cause any undesirable effect to the prawn which is transfered into clean seawater after exposure. The result of this study showed that at therapeutic levels, that is, at a level of up to 4 ppm and with exposures of up to 24 hours, copper sulfate can be safely applied to ponds with juvenile P. monodon.
|Relation: ||33, pp.1-7|
|Appears in Collections:||[廖一久院士專區] 期刊論文|
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
All items in NTOUR are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.