Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Issue Date: ||2017-11-21T08:06:03Z
Penaeus monodon Fabricius is a large prawn that fetches a high price in the Taiwan market. It is cultivated in ponds in combination with milkfish, Chanos chanos Forskål; prawn larvae are col1ected from river mouths and estuaries from April to November and reared in small ponds to small shrimp for stocking purpose.
The present study is an attempt to propagate this prawn artificially in the hope of making young prawn for stocking independent of the natural supply. The following is a summary of the results in the present study:
(1) Three mature female prawns were collected and transported live to the laboratory from a shrimp trawler; two of them spawned successfully giving about 12 x 10^4 eggs.
(2) The egg is spherical and isolecithal, its diameter measures about 0.25 mm, its membrane is colorless and transparent. Newly laid eggs sink to the bottom like those of P. japonicus.
(3) The cleavage is holoblastic and almost equal, and it takes 12 or 13 hours from the spawning of the egg to the hatching of the larva at temperature of 29.2℃ - 30.5℃, salinity 34.20-34.49‰.
(4) The body length of the newly hatched nauplius measures 0.32 to 0.33 mm, nauplius molts six times , by each molting it grows larger and the number of setae at the tip of the appendages (except the mandible) and that of the furcal spines increase.
(5) The zoea of 0.91 mm in length appears 22 to 25 hours after hatching and the larva begins to take food such as diatom, Skeletonema costatum, and molts three times during this stage.
(6) By the third molting of the zoea, the mysis stage is attained. The body length of the first sub-stage of the mysis measures about 3.4 mm, second 3.9 mm and that of the third 4.4 mm. They are fed with the nauplii of the brine shrimp (Artemia salina).
(7) The first post-larva measures 5.1 mm in body length, about 3x10^4 first postlarvae being obtained from about 12x10^4 fertilized eggs. The larvae were reared indoors in two tanks each of 500 l capacity, and fed with minced c1am, Meretrix lusoria, after 5th post-larva stage.
(8) The 20th post-larva measures 20 mm in body length. Only about 6,000 of them are left because of the shortage of fresh sea water in the Tainan Fish Culture Station.
|Relation: ||8, pp.67-71|
|Appears in Collections:||[廖一久院士專區] 叢書|
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
All items in NTOUR are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.